Hello! About a month ago I mentioned that raw foodist David Wolfe spoke at my school and made a superfoods smoothie. He was so energetic that of course I wanted to get my hands on whatever he was eating! I had a really hard time finding all of the ingredients but finally found almost all of them. It is the perfect time of year to enjoy a nice cold smoothie so let’s take a look at the ingredients and their benefits!
1) Organic berries-Berries contain phytochemicals and flavonoids that may help to prevent some forms of cancer. Blueberries and raspberries also contain lutein, which is important for healthy vision (source).
2) Coconut Water: Has 15 times more potassium than that found in sport drinks. It’s also naturally loaded with the five key electrolytes: potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, sodium and calcium. It also helps keep the body cool and at the proper temperature, helps carry nutrients and oxygen to cells and boosts poor circulation, regulates the function of the intestine, helping promote smoother skin, helps detoxify your body and boost your immune system, and helps easy stomach pains (source).
3) Coconut Oil: Holds the smoothie together, helps with blood sugar, provides long-lasting energy, increased metabolic rates, as well as anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal activity (source).
4) Goji Berries: the goji berry offers an exceptional balance of daily macronutrients: containing carbohydrates, high-quality protein, healthy fat, and soluble fiber. The goji’s solid plant-based protein is packed with 18 amino acids — including all 8 essential amino acids – which is 10% of the fruits composition. Also full of free-radical-devouring antioxidants, goji berries have been historically used to support the immune system and longevity. Rich in vitamin A and a good source of vitamin C, these berries additionally possess over 20 trace minerals and vitamins including zinc, iron, phosphorus, riboflavin (B2), vitamin E, and carotenoids which include beta-carotene. And to put things in perspective on just how powerful the little goji berry is, ounce per ounce it contains more vitamin C than oranges, more beta carotene than carrots, and more iron than soybeans or spinach (source).
5) Camu Camu Powder:The most potent known source of vitamin C in the world, Camu contains 30 to 60 times the amount of vitamin C found in oranges.” Camu also contains a wide range of antioxidants and other phytonutrients, and helps reduce inflammation in the body (source).
6) Maca Powder: As you can see above, this one increases libido! It’s also been used to increase energy, combat stress, and increase stamina. It contains plant sterols, essential minerals, amino acids and healthy fats (source).
7) Raw Cocoa Beans: David Wolfe said that chocolate is the #1 antioxidant food in the world. It is 15X higher than blueberries, 30X higher than red wine, and 20X higher than green tea. Oh yeah!
8) Blue Manna Powder: promotes:
. Greater mental energy, attention, memory, and focus.
. Emotional and mental balance.
. Healthy joints and tissues. (source).
9) Spirulina:At 60 to 70% protein, it is higher in protein than any other natural food. Spirulina is rich in vitamins and minerals and other nutrients. It increases energy, stamina, and has a blood glucose lowering effect (source).
I’m not sure of the exact measurements for each ingredient but I will give you a general idea of how much I used. I filled my Magic Bullet about 3/4 full with coconut water, a tablespoon of coconut oil, a handful of goji berries, about a cup of the frozen berries, and a teaspoon of each powder.
I blended it for about a minute and a beautiful superfood smoothie was created!
The smoothie actually tastes very good since the berries overpower all of the green algae and other powders. David Wolfe said that you can also use raw honey or almond butter instead of coconut oil. There were a few mushroom powders that he also added but I could not find them anywhere! I found most of my ingredients at Whole Foods and at NavitasNaturals.com. I love that the smoothie is very filling and gives me a lot of energy after drinking it! So long coffee!
1) Do you eat/drink any superfoods?
2) What is your favorite smoothie combination?
*Don’t forget to enter to win 1 of 3 Core Fusion Lean and Toned DVD’s!!
*Check out the new Lite Choice Giveaway! You can win a $50.00 gift certificate and a “Behind the Scenes” tour!