I have not talked about it in a while but I do still teach spin every Friday bright and early at 6:00 am at Suncycle Studios. I decided to start posting my classes every Friday in case there are any spin teachers out there who need inspiration (or if you just want to hear my wonderful choice in music!)
When making a class, I usually spend a full week preparing songs and listening to them nonstop. Here is my usual routine for preparing a cycling class:
1. Listen to Spotify songs every night after work. I follow other fitness instructors to get song ideas, and always add in random tracks from my favorite EDM Djs. I also Google top 40 songs since I never listen to the radio, and try to find remixes because students tend to enjoy songs that they can sing along to.
2. Choose about 10-12 songs (45-50 minutes worth of music) to use on Friday.
3. Figure out which order to play them (this takes forever). I do try to mix it up because I know not everyone is obsessed with dance music like me.
4. Write down a general idea of what I will do for each song. When I first started teaching, I would spend hours planning out each song and figuring out exactly how long each sprint would be, etc. I no longer find this to be necessary and can focus on being more energetic and into the class when I am not as worried about timing and sticking to an exact plan.
5. Listen to my playlist on repeat. Once I decide on my playlist, I listen to it on the subway to and from work on repeat so that I am extremely familiar with each song.
Every Friday, I will post my playlist as well as a (very basic) profile for the class. While I was trained to teach with RPMs, the bikes at my studio do not have that feature so they will not be listed with my profile.
All Night– Warm up (Flat road, very fast pace with upper body stretches).
Try– Hill climb (moderate to heavy resistance, alternating between sitting and standing).
Hangover– 2 seated sprints during techno sections (still with high resistance) (.55 sec and 2:32 mark).
Turn on the Music– Sprints part 2 (1:15-2:00) and (3:14 to end of song).
No Superstar– Weights. Bicep curls, shoulder raises, tricep pushes behind back, and punches.
Levels– 1 minute flat road recovery into sitting and standing with pushes? (I forget what I really did!)
Tainted Love– Hill (Alternated between positions 2 and 3).
Me– Push ups on bike into weights. Bicep curls (alternating arms in 90 degree angle), lateral raises, tricep dips, and punches.
Rescue Me– Moderate-heavy resistance with 3 pushes to finish class. 30 seconds, 45 seconds, 1 minute.
Treasure– Cool down. Flat road for 2 minutes followed by stretches on bike.
Rain-Stretches off bike.